Gérard Maunick – Guitarist/Vocalist/Songwriter
John Ward of ‘Only Blues Music’ said: “Probably the best description I could give you of Gérard is that if Jimi Hendrix & Bob Marley came back in the form of one person, that person would be Gérard. I have rarely met anyone with the love of music & people that Gérard has. A truly wonderful & talented guy, who plays like a demon, just amazing.”
The Ottawa Blues Society (Ontario Canada) announced that in 2007 Gerard was a finalist at The Lakeside Blues Festival in Finland which has become one of Europe’s biggest blues festivals. Gerard was voted the general public’s favourite artist at the Festival.
Highly regarded and respected among his Australian peers, Gérard’s ability to mesmerize his audience through guitar and voice is a gift that any young, aspiring student of blues & soul should absorb first hand by witnessing Gérard’s magic live. For the music lover, if you ever caught Jimi Hendrix or Bob Marley live, then you will have ‘some’ indication about what to expect & experience at a Gérard Maunick gig.
The pleasure will be all yours.
- Joined ‘Healing Force’ with Lindsay Wells on guitar, Harris Cambell from New Zealand on bass, Glen Walsh on drums.
- Was a part of super funk fusion band ‘Harlequin’ with Bruce Johnson on keys, Lindsay Wells on guitar, Harris Cambell on lead vocals & percussion, Paul Pooley on bass and Paul Johnson from the internationally acclaimed jazz trio ‘The Peddlers’ on drums.
- Duo with Scottish bassist George Stout. (Marcia Hines Band)
- Band ‘That’s It’ with Keith Vangeyzel on Keys, Mark Sadler on Keys, Freddy Grigson on guitar and vocals, George on bass and vocals and Glen Walsh on drums and vocals. (Funk Jazz Fusion)
- Release of first solo album ‘Harlequin Blues’. Winner of three major WA Rock awards. (Best Album, Best Production & John Villani winning Best Engineer for the album)
- In the early 90’s became a founding member of rock blues band ‘Powershift’ with Michael Vdelli on guitar and vocals, John Kendall on bass and Mark Greenwood on drums.
- Release of CD, ‘Powershift live at Gobbles’ with Michael Vdelli and new line-up, Billy Blisset on keys & vocals, Roy Daniels on bass and Ric Whittle on drums.
- Jazz & Funk band, ‘The Blue thing’ with Tony Borthwick on sax and flute, Roy Martinez on bass and Paul Maybury on drums with a change of line-up in 1998 with Robbie Pizzano and Glen Walsh on Drums.
- did a short stint with ‘Vdelli’
- Formed the ‘Gerard Maunick Band’ with partner percussionist/vocalist Tina-Simone.
- Toured the Eastern States with Band, featuring Tina-Simone, Bob Patient on keys, John Wilson on bass and Rudy Miranda on drums (Dave Hole/Mal Eastick/Doc Neeson)
- Album release – ‘Soul Kreol’
- Headlining Artist – The Great Southern Blues & Rockabilly Festival, Narooma NSW
- Song ‘I Tell You Woman’ featured on Blues at Bridgetown compilation CD
- Headlining Artist – Australian Blues Festival, Goulburn NSW
- Headlining Artist – Blues At Bridgetown Festival, Bridgetown WA
- Release CD ‘Voodoo Brew’.
- WAMi Song of the Year Winner – Category Roots/Blues. The track: ‘Slippin’ With The Blues’ from CD ‘Voodoo Brew’
- Reformed Band with Scottish Bassist George Stout and Ric Eastman on drums
- Song ‘War’ featured on Groove Magazine compilation CD
- Song ‘Am I Crazy’ featured on Blue Tongue Records compilation CD
- Travelled to Finland for the Heritage International blues song contest. Voted ‘Favourite Artist’ by the public. Voted ‘Favourite Artist’ by the Artists.
- Revamped the band with John Trotter on drums (The Manfred Mann Earth band, Hot Chocolate and White Snake)
- Began recording “World Citizen” (Luke Steele – Producer)
- Performed at The Bridgetown Blues Festival (late 2009)
- CD Release WORLD CITIZEN
Favourite Support Acts:
Deep Purple | Matt Taylor | Jimmy Barnes | Johnny Johnson | Don Walker | Sade | Jungle Funk (Living Colour)
- Singing at the “Celebration of The Year Of The Peace”, representing Western Australia and televised throughout Australia.
- An audience with B. B. King in his hotel suite at the Parmelia Hotel with Michael Vdelli and John Kendall.
- Hanging out Back-stage (Perth Concert Hall) with Matt Taylor and The Doobie Brothers.
- Meeting my Wife.
- Currently recording new CD with producer/recording artist Luke Steele from ‘The Sleepy Jacksons’
- New Album due for release 2009
- Opening artist for the inaugural Guitar Gods Behaving Badly event July 2008.